Monday, June 8, 2009

How Do you Solve a Problem Like Marie?

The fourth graders' big project this year was a wax museum. They could pick anyone living or dead, then they had to write a report about them, and then on wax museum day, dress up like said person, stand still until a museum visitor stepped on the their "button" and then they would come to life and tell their story. Well, Audrey chose Marie Antoinette. I spent a month brainstorming ideas of how to turn her into Marie. I wanted to find a way to make her headless, but alas, I am not that clever, so this is what we came up with instead:



The wig was a big hit, one teacher even told her she had the best costume he had ever seen. I was feeling like a good mom for putting more effort into this project than I have most of the others until I got a call from the school needing me to rescue my girl because she had passed out in the library. In my defense, I don't think it was ALL the wigs fault. It was really hot and crowded and she was nervous and they were standing there for 45 minutes.
Her little report/speech was cute. I don't remember it all of course but the part that stood out to me was how she ended it: "Marie was accused of treason and mistreating her son and was decapitated by a deadly machine called a guillotine. And that was the great and amazing life of Marie Antoinette.

4 comments:

Di said...

The costume is great! What a good day for Audrey, not only did she wear the best costume ever but she got to pass out. I know at least one other girl who would love to be able to claim the drama of actually FAINTING!

Nettina said...

Awesome costume!!

Mom and Dad said...

How many cotton balls does it take...? Or are they giant marshmallows?! You are clever indeed.

Sheila said...

I would estimate roughly three hundred cotton balls, two toilet paper rolls, 3 feet of cotton batting a bunch of stuffing, a few clothes pins and silk flowers, no wonder the poor thing fainted.